Guest Speaker Engagement
Spark student curiosity and connections by inviting guest speakers into your classroom, in person or virtually.
Bringing in a guest speaker is a high impact way to give your students the opportunity to learn about different education and career paths, explore industries, and strengthen their professional communication skills.
How does this fit with my class?
Effective guest speakers can be from any industry and at any point in their career.
- Construct and ask effective questions
- Communicate effectively with professionals
- Use appropriate gestures and body language
- Learn about a specific career path or industry
- In school
- Out of school
What will my students gain?
From the Partnership for 21st Century Learning:
Creativity and Innovation
- Be open and responsive to new and diverse perspectives; incorporate group input and feedback into the work
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Interpret information and draw conclusions based on the best analysis
Communication and Collaboration
- Use communication for a range of purposes (e.g. to inform, instruct, motivate and persuade) Utilize multiple media and technologies, and know how to judge their effectiveness a priori as well as assess their impact
- Communicate effectively in diverse environments
Life & Career Skills
- Know when it is appropriate to listen and when to speak
- Present oneself professionally and with proper etiquette