Connect students to opportunities to get involved in their local communities.
Attending a community event allows students to expand their knowledge of their local environments and companies and organizations in various professional sectors.
How does this fit with my class?
Students can hone their networking skills by interacting directly with professionals from the community. Students can explore opportunities to volunteer, find mentors, and secure internships.
- Expand knowledge of current trends in the community or an industry
- Network with professionals and community members
- Utilize professional communication skills in an authentic setting
- In school
- Out of school
What will my students gain?
From the Partnership for 21st Century Learning:
Communication and Collaboration
- Articulate thoughts and ideas effectively using oral, written and nonverbal communication skills in a variety of forms and contexts
- Listen effectively to decipher meaning, including knowledge, values, attitudes and intentions
- Use communication for a range of purposes (e.g. to inform, instruct, motivate and persuade)
- Communicate effectively in diverse environments
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Analyze how parts of a whole interact with each other to produce overall outcomes in complex systems
- Reflect critically on learning experiences and processes
Productivity and Accountability
- Present oneself professionally and with proper etiquette
- Respects cultural differences and works effectively with people from a range of social and cultural backgrounds